Thursday, July 15, 2010

Do you want to know you're not being considered now, or do you want me to wait a little bit to let you know?


As somewhat of a follow-up to my previous post, I recently found myself wondering what the appropriate length of time should be for letting a job candidate know they are no longer being considered for the position. Each morning, I plug through my applicant tracking system and begin the process of reviewing candidate profiles, most of which are not qualified for the respective positions. At that point, I choose the appropriate disposition code for those not chosen. Here's where the dilemma lies...if a candidate applied for a position the night before, is it appropriate to send them a notice the following morning letting them know that are no longer being considered? Sometimes the notice would be going to them within 12 hours of them applying. Other times, it may be even less. Let me assure you, I do a thorough review of the candidates' qualifications/backgrounds before making the determination, so I'm confident my decisions are sound. Additionally, I pride myself in communicating with candidates, regardless of the decision.

The main struggle exists with trying to keep my ATS clean and organized (managing several positions), while leaving the "not chosen" candidates with a positive candidate experience. The bottom line is, they are not going to be considered for employment, so why wait to tell them? Yet, I get a sense that this may turn off the candidate, as they may be thinking that there is no way I have had the time to review their information (I swear I have!). Having been through job searches as a candidate, I personally wouldn't care how long it took for a decision to be made, I just want to be notified. I guess it's the minimalist in me that's creating this dilemma. What to do?...What to do?

2 comments:

  1. Matt,

    The fact that you are letting candidates know they are not a fit differentiates you from many recruiters. I think if you let people know they are out whether it be a couple of hours or weeks after they have posted is sufficient. You're never going to satisfy every job seeker and at the end of the day you have a job to do.

    Hope all is well..

    Jason Childs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultimately, people that submit applications hope they will be considered. In the end, what matters is getting the best talent to STAY once you have them. I noticed a great whitepaper about this at 5 Strategies for Improving Employee Satisfaction in Healthcare that you'd probably like.

    Thanks for the great read!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete