Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Don't Forget The Drug Test

Recently, I read a blog article about how schools need to do a better job in preparing college graduates for interviews. The blog article cited examples of job candidates showing up for interviews dressed poorly, knowing very little information about the company and asking odd questions.

I too have seen some examples of this, but for the most part the recent graduates I've spoken to have been prepared pretty well. In fact, these candidates had done all the right things during their college careers (i.e. activities, good grades, internships), did their research on the company and interviewed very well. Here's the problem: they didn't pass their drug test!

In my opinion, career counselors need to remind students that as they venture into the workplace (a.k.a. the real world), they will more-than-likely be required to pass a drug test as a condition of employment. Getting them to wear a nice suit and ask the right questions will do nothing for them if they're doing bong tokes before the interview.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article Matt.

    That's funny - bong hits before the interview. Sad but true I suppose.

    It's encouraging to me that you find recent grads are pretty well prepared. I have young kids and the things I see in school and particularly in sports where there is not allowed to be competition scare me for them. I keep wondering how we can send them through life until age 22 without learning how to win, how to lose, and that sometimes your best isn't good enough and then expect them to make it in world where it's all about competition.

    At least seeing prepared grads shows that there is some acknowledgement that they need to put their best foot forward in order to "win" the job.

    Thanks for the post.

    www.careercurve.com/blog

    ReplyDelete