Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ignore Toxic Co-Workers


There comes a point in everyone's career when the they have the distinct pleasure of working with someone they just can't stand.  You know, the person who always thinks the company is trying to screw them over, or thinks their work is the only work that matters, or constantly complains about having too much to do.  It's the same person that spends a good portion of their time surfing the web for personal matters, while complaining that the company doesn't pay them enough.  Yet, this person could never pull a similar salary at any other company.  You get the point.  Ultimately, this person's constant complaining about the company begins to bring all others around them down, or in worst cases, gets them to join the complaint bandwagon.

Having worked with a number of these individuals, I have come up with a simple solution to not letting these folks harsh your mellow.  Friggin' ignore them!  Being in HR, I sometimes have to grin and bear it when dealing with employees that demonstrates these wonderful characteristics.  I must admit, in the back of my mind, I really want to say "just quit!".  However, if I followed through on my initial instinct, I would be out of a job.  But, boy it would sure be fun to say at least once.  However, when it comes to dealing with toxic co-workers, I've developed a barrier which prevents The Toxic Avenger from bringing me down.  It took some time to develop, but after some reflection upon how the behavior was affecting me negatively, I had to change.  I didn't over think it.  I didn't do a ton of research on the subject.  I essentially decided to implement the simplest approach to the problem.

I assure you, I ignore these individuals with the utmost professionalism.  I don't let it affect my potential future dealings with these people.  I simply listen to what they have to say, understand it what they're trying to do (poison my attitude), and move on.  It's easier said than done, but when you are able to master this skill set (and I truly believe it is a skill set), you'll feel like you just squashed a pig, a la Angry Birds.



No comments:

Post a Comment