Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Tip for Job Seekers Using LinkedIn

As someone who has been in staffing management for over ten years, I believe LinkedIn is the most powerful (free) recruiting tool available today. I have had success in finding qualified candidates with relative ease, while saving my company thousands in what would have been spent on recruiter fees. Additionally, I have started a career center for my employer on LinkedIn, which allows me to post our global job opportunities at no cost. I also utilize specific group job boards for posting as well.

With so many registered LinkedIn users, it's not surprising that I receive large responses to my job postings. Recently, I've observed a trend in the way potential candidates are responding to my job postings, and it's starting to become annoying. I have received multiple messages from candidates asking me to view their profile, see if it's a match for my job opening, and then contact them if it is. Here's how it should be done...review my job opening and apply if you're interested! Recruiters, present company included, barely have enough time to review the influx of resumes we receive for job postings. Asking us to take additional time to review your LinkedIn profile, and then contact you is ludicrous. I hate to say it, but it's still an employer's job market, so job seekers don't have leverage.

I certainly don't want to discourage job seekers from using LinkedIn for job searches. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Continue to make as many connections as possible, and don't be afraid to reach out to those connections about job opportunities they may be aware of. Just don't take the approach I referenced above.

No comments:

Post a Comment